Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: 290-8k bolt up to which horns?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Hi scootertrs;

    I myself am a guitar player & am very curious as to why you are using a compression driver for a guitar cab,are you a bass player, or are you using a speaker simulated pre amp?
    If your not, then just a word of advice, if you are playing live it would be difficult to mic the cab for sound reinforcement unless you plan on running direct to board, also the clean sound may sound outstanding but as soon as you move to overdrive territory it will sound bad bad bad, unless the signal is filtered to simulate a mic'ed guitar cab.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Assuming that all the distortion is done by a processor or overdriving the pre-amp, and he isn't going for the "cone-cry" sound, it should work fine.
    Besides, doesn't everybody on this board love the sound coming out of an Altec horn?

  3. #13
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Believe it on not, I actually tried this before & speak from experience,a speaker simulated signal is required if he is going for a distortion type of sound with this three way cab he is planning to build, or it will sound shrill & splattery!
    If he intends only to play clean than it should be OK, but he still should be careful with transient spikes when playing loud as to not dammage the diaphrams!

  4. #14
    Inactive Member scootertrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2004
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well... I have only done some preliminary testing with the Dual Showman / Celestion speaker cab, N501 xover and Mrii594 and the sound is awesome... I don't mike my guitar into the PA... I line in (my dual showman was modified for a line out)... and run full signal into the celestions and parallel into the n501 for the xover... att usually is running at about -6 for a nice balanced sound...

    It actually sounds clean, crisp and normal until you shut the horn off and then it just sounds lifeless... if I get into some drastic Clapton stuff or maybe a little U2 the sound is just special, even with crunch and sustain (I have 1/2 amp fuses protecting the driver) but when we do something like "every breath you take" by sting and feed the lead **** progressions into the horn/cab system... it is out of this world... makes me wonder how I ever did without it!!!

    now if I was to go to a dual drive 1003b system... on a biamp setup...HMMM :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.